Employment Type: Part-Time or Full-Time
Location: Kenya or South Africa (or be willing and able to spend significant time based there)
Start Date: June-July 2018 (estimated)
Digital Disruptions provides training and advisory services in strategy and product design and development focused on the digital financial services (DFS) and mobile payments sector. We use best-practice innovation methodologies to come up with concrete and creative solutions to problems faced by public and private sector clients. Some recent projects include:
- Crafting the business model for a Silicon Valley-backed fintech start-up to expand from their base in East Africa
- Providing in-house training on Design Thinking and Lean Start-Up to the financial services industry in Southern Africa
- Conducting a product and UX sprint for a leading fintech company’s first smartphone app in India
- Developing an international mobile money remittance solution for a bank and mobile operator in Asia-Pacific
- Authoring a thought-leadership report on expanding merchant payments for the World Economic Forum
We’re seeking a dynamic Engagement manager who can work on a variety of consulting, training, and research projects currently underway, and also contribute to the firm’s growth in Africa. We’re a fast-paced, lean, and fun organization looking to re-think (and re-do) the way consulting work is done in emerging markets. The role can be part-time (leading to a full-time) or full-time from the start – we can be flexible for the right person.
Projects & Activities:
The Engagement Manager will primarily work on consulting engagements in Africa, and occasionally in other emerging markets, such as those in Asia, and work directly with our private and public sector clients. Depending on the project, you’ll work as part of a broader team of specialists in product, UX, marketing, agile project management, software development, and analysis.
Typical activities include conducting stakeholder interviews and field research with consumers, estimating financial projections, managing project timelines and deliverables, designing business models, running quantitative analysis, writing reports in Word or PPT, leading workshops and multi-day design sprints, crafting marketing plans, and presenting to senior-level clients.
Professional Qualifications for this role:
- 4-10 years experience in top-tier consulting, start-ups, or industry (banks, mobile operators, technology firms preferred)
- Focus on digital, e-commerce, mobile, or user experience. (Financial services experience is a bonus, but not imperative)
- Hands-on experience in functional areas of strategy, marketing, and/or product design and development, especially with respect to executing concrete deliverables
- Experience or exposure to developing countries
- Strong business acumen and problem-solving skills
- Full fluency in English. Proficiency in French, Portuguese and/or Swahili a plus
- MBA (or similar advanced degree) preferred
Personal Characteristics for this role:
- Self-starter: Proactive approach to managing multiple tasks, working collaboratively, strong bias towards action
- Problem-solving orientation: Proactive and independent thinker and doer
- Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Travel: Willingness to travel for 1-2 week engagements within Africa and elsewhere, mainly in Asia (~25% travel).
- Strong passion around social impact, digital technologies, and solving client problems
Please send a brief CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates will be asked to interview.